top of page
Blue & White Since 1925
"To build means to take raw materials and to create something where nothing existed before. To build means to take an empty shell, an assortment of people, and ideal, and through courage, determination, and spirit, form a school. On a chilly day in January of 1925, 252 students climbed the steps of Reitz Memorial High School and met their faculty for the first time. When these two forces joined, the dream of Francis Joseph Reitz became a reality."
In 1922, Francis Joseph Reitz pledged money to build a Catholic high school to be built to memorize his parents. Before he purchased the 13-acre tract of vacant property on Evansville's Lincoln Avenue, Reitz had searched nearly a year for an appropriate site for the city's new and only Catholic high school. A prominent local financier, Reitz demanded a location accessible by streetcar and near light, gas, and water lines. For his one million dollar gift to the youth of Evansville, Reitz was presented with the insignia of Knight and Knight Commander of the Order of Pius IX.
- Excerpt from the 1925 Memorial Echo
New Year's Day, 1925 - Reitz Memorial High School was dedicated by Bishop Chartrand of Indianapolis. Classes began on January 5, and the boys were taught on the main floor by the Brothers of The Holy Cross and the girls on the 3rd floor by the Sisters of Providence.
1969 - A new addition was added to Reitz Memorial High School. The new wing extending along Bennighof Avenue came with expanded first and second floors, a new gym with a capacity of 2,000 people, a band room, and a library.
July 7, 1998 - Groundbreaking began for a new addition to Reitz Memorial High School. The new $5 million west wing expansion was dedicated on January 21, 2000. This new building included eight new classrooms, two art studios, two science labs, a wrestling room, an auxiliary gym, and a state-of-the-art media center. Along with the additions, renovations to the original building included new windows and a new heating and air conditioning system. The new improvements increased Memorial's functional capacity to nearly 900 students.
2006 - The New NJ Stone Baseball field wass built and dedicated off campus. Named and dedicated after Norbert Stone, whose family provided donations to make the field possible.
2008 - Wayne Henning Stadium is built to house practice facilities for the Football Team along with hosting Junior Varsity games and Track Meets.
2014 - Traylor Family Stadium is built on campus to allow the very successful Memorial soccer program to host home games on Memorial's campus. Along with the new Soccer Stadium, the Robert M. Kent Athletic Center is renovated and updated along with the Witting Parking Lot allowing parking for visitors and students.
Architectural History by Brother Eugene
CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY
bottom of page